27 Aug 2012

Life on Tour with Heath Reed - Issue No.2


April 2012 

Event: Lea Open $100k (PNG)

Only event for the month but was a big on for me. I was trying to win the event for the 3rd time in a row but could not produce the form off previous years. I finished a disappointing 31st on even par with the winner at 16under. Just played poorly and the three peat was not to be.

May 2012

Event: PNG OPEN $130k

Had a real chance of winning this event this year after finishing 4th,3rd and 2nd the last 3 years. I was 6under after the first two rounds 3 shots from the lead. I struggled during the 3rd round shooting 2 over par and dropped to 5 shots behind. The final round I had a real chance of winning until the 17th. I caught a terrible lie in the middle of the fairway and instead of playing safe I tried to fly the water and hit it on the green. At the time I was one shot of the lead and when my ball landed in the middle of water resulting in a double bogie my tournament was finished. I ended up finishing 9th on 5under with the winner on 9 under.

There was a highlight for the week if you could call it that. In the second round on the 16th I was over my ball ready to go and next thing I hear all this noise. My caddy was standing next the edge of the water known to have crocodiles in it. Next thing a Crocodile has surfaced and my caddie has started sprinting across the fairway. Highlight for me not so much for him. The caddies are not the smartest at times and this was one of his better efforts.

Event: Blackwater Pro Am

Blackwater would have to be the worst experience I have ever had on the golf course. I shot 4under the first round and was 4 shots from the lead. The second day I didn’t feel 100% and by lunch time I started to feel very low on energy. I had a little to eat and a coke to try and spike some energy. My energy levels continued to fall throughout the day and I was physically sick on my 7th hole in the middle of the fairway. At this stage I was 3under for the day and 1 shot of the lead. I decided to press on but on the 13th at 4 under for the day and 8under for the tournament tied for the lead, I collapsed on the course from massive dehydration and exhaustion. I was taken from the course in an Ambulance to the hospital and treated for dehydration caused by an extreme case of gastro. Six hours and five bags of saline later I was back at my billets place. Future reference when I am physically sick on the course no matter how well I am going I will pull out next time.

Event: Emerald Pro Am

Two days later the Emerald Pro Am was far less dramatic with me shooting 70, 68 2under total finishing 18th. I played the first round with Tony Stanton our Treasurer and he had 6under his handicap and he finished it of the next day shooting 5under his handicap for an 11under total and 2nd in his section great effort Tony.

June and July

No golf for me these two months mainly due to my wife being pregnant with twins and me not wanting to travel late in her pregnancy.

I was actually very busy working for a Redland Bay member Neil Mitchell in his milk distribution business. It was a great experience for me and I enjoyed it immensely. It certainly was a lot different to anything I have experienced before and enjoyed every challenge presented to me.

I also started teaching at Redland Bay and it has been very satisfying for me seeing my students improving there game and winning some competitions along the way. The Sunday morning clinics have also been a great success with Members, Junior’s and Non Members all enjoying the group atmosphere. I have also got a lot of satisfaction from my clinic regulars seeing their constant improvement from week to week.

August

August 2nd 2012 by far the best experience of my life with the birth of our Twins

Luke Heath Reed born at 2.39pm weighing 2.2kgs

Emma Grace Reed born at 2.40pm weighing 2kgs

They are home now and everyone is doing well.

Riverlakes Pro Am

A few days later after the exciting birth I dusted the cob webs of the clubs and played the Riverlakes Pro Am. After 10 weeks between tournaments I surprised myself having 7 birdies for a 4under 66 losing by 2 shots and finishing 4th.

Looking Forward

The rest of the year is a very exciting time with Major events in Australia coming up and 3 trips to Asia for the One Asia Tour. In between these events are a number of State Opens and Big Pro Ams which will keep in form for the main events. I am feeling very fresh this year with the 10 week lay off and looking for to some big results. Thanks for reading and I will keep you posted with all my results.

Heath Reed

No comments:

Post a Comment