9 May 2011

Grounds Director Blog

I know a lot of members feel that perhaps there were days that carts probably should not be on the course, so believe me when I tell you that there is not one person who worries about our course more than me.  But after saying that, I have proven that the course will recover and I bet there are a few golf clubs who are struggling now are sorry that they did not maximise their income.

To avoid a lot of damage to the course during wet weather, please drive abreast rather than behind each other and drive just above walking speed.  As the colder months and rain approaches, there will be times when no carts will be allowed. We now have are own springs on course that are going to take some time to go away so please watch when in a cart and try to avoid them. We all really need to think and have maximum only two carts per group and I know that is not always easy but when possible please do so.

I am a little dismayed that it appears there are not to many members carrying pitch repairers any more and a fair few not filling divots. I believe that you by reading this article are not responsible because you care by taking the time to read this report, and I also believe that if one is in a group it is your duty to politely tell any playing partners to do the right thing (like carrying a sand bucket, fill divot, fix pitch mark and not to drive in certain area's) and that alone would be a big help.

I have made a sign post at the front of the first tee which I believe will be a lot better knowing about the day. Thank you Tony Stanton for recognizing our girls Margaret and Joan on the wonderful job they are doing.  They have now become very important members of our team.

The worst parts of our course are the ends and starts of paths. We are aware of this and they will be attended to as quickly as possible.  It is not only where carts go but also where the walkers go.  Any place where you funnel into one space is the same. Good Golfing.

Stay Tuned Col. Truswell.

Ball Marks - An Old Nemesis
Ball marks are always a hot topic with golfers and superintendents so we have added a link below to a video that details the correct steps required to repair a pitch mark. Please view and repair the marks you create.


No comments:

Post a Comment